Thursday, May 6, 2010

love

I have neglected my mother's day posts for a couple of days, things just got busy :) I have however, been reading and thinking. Why do Mom's get such a bad reputation? Why is it casually dismissed when we say, "I am a mom"? Jane tells a story in her book about how she was at a party and someone asked her what she did. She said that she was a Mom and after an audible pause, the party goer said, "well that's nice" and walked away! Jane said she knew if she would have said a foreign correspondent of something like that, the party goer would have stayed and talked to her longer. She quotes a study where the researcher said that back in the days when farmers depended on their crops for their livlihood, the women were equal partners with them. There was no farm with out each other. As time went on, things that women did (sew, wash etc.) were mechanized and their labors were now automatic. The men went to work and their labors were judged by a paycheck. I think that pretty much explains it personally.
There are instances when women have to work. My mom worked while we were growing up. I know it was hard for her to balance the two, my dad worked in the morning and she worked in the evening so there was always someone home. What sacrifice on both their parts! Personally I respect the crappin's out of working mom's! Coming home from one job to catch up on everything their kids have done/dirtied during the day...
I just want to say I know Motherhood matters! It is like the talk in conference (I am sorry I can't remember who it is) but they said that the love of a mother is like the love of Christ. So selfless, unconditional. When we have those horrid bad days were everyone seems mad at you, where nothing goes right, from one thing to the next with grumpy kids (hubby's in tow) we as mother's matter! It breaks my heart when people think being a mother is something to casually dismiss because it means the world to me, I love it so much!

No comments: