Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mother's Day

So I have been thinking that I have a neglected blog: no if's and's or but's about it! I also have no one who checks my blog, probably because it is so neglected. But I have a sudden urge to try and post entries this week. Where this urge came from I don't know, but here I go!

For Mother's day I have been thinking a lot about the calling of Mother's. Truly there is no better calling in life, there is also probably none with a greater challenge. We are shaping chilren's lives. Teaching them, molding their futures. Little spirits sent to US to take care of in this state of the plan of salvation. Has the enormity of this calling started to weigh down on you yet? Elder Neal A. Maxwell said, "When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses?"

On the same point Ana Quindlen (Pulitzer prize winner and mother) said, "If any of us engaged is the work of mothering thought much about it as the task of fashioning the fine points of civilization we would be frozen into immobility by the enormity of the task." How true that is! I remember when we found out that Sophie was on her way, I was so scared. The enormity of the situation hit me full force! Still, over this past year, almost year and a half, I have a new confidence about who I now am, and that is a MOTHER.

During this week, I will try 'Julie and Julia' kind of thing for my hidden readers. I will be reading "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson and blogging about my feelings and adventures over this past year, almost year and a half. I hope you will find it uplifting, so that when the days come that are overwhelming and bleak, you can say to yourself, "I am NOT just a mom or stay-at home mom, I am a mother!"

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Can't wait to read more of your posts! Mother's day sure has a different meaning when you're nurturing a little one! (I can't wait for Zoey to arrive to experience the joys of motherhood!)
AND I LOVE your new family pics! Soooo cute!

Lotte said...

I love this post. So many people are under the mistaken assumption that children are accessories to shown off and played with when convenient and shuffled out of the way when it's not. As parents, we have a responsibility to teach children how to be adults. The knowledge and ability to be a good adult doesn't just happen as children age and grow taller. These skills must be taught and children are observing and learning from us every minute of every day. It's a sobering realization. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for this amazing responsibility and the tools he has provided me with in order to accomplish this job. It's such a blessing to know that I am not alone in this and that the Lord has provided a way for me to overcome whatever challenges my little family has and will face.